OAKLAND

Gateway to the Belgrade Lakes

Oakland, just west of Waterville, is the gateway to the well-known Belgrade Lakes. Three major bodies of water in the Belgrade Lakes chain dominate the landscape, providing many opportunities for water-related activities. The attractiveness of the lakes makes it easy to see why the town has one of the largest concentrations of summer camps for children in all of Maine.

Oakland was originally settled as West Waterville, but incorporated under its own name in 1883. It was soon apparent that the towns tumbling Messalonskee Stream would draw industries to take advantage of this considerable source of water power.

A front runner in recognizing environmental issues, Oakland was one of the first towns in the state to build a municipal sewerage treatment facility. Among attractions is the Memorial Hall on Church Street, built by Civil War veterans, and the Octagon House on Summer Street at the northerly end of Messalonskee Lake.

Private homes range from stately New England classics to cape and ranch homes. Oakland is a beautiful place to raise a family. The town has a reputation for some of the finer schools in the entire state and for its fiscally conservative municipal government. Preparing for the future, Oakland has a comprehensive plan to promote organized development and a full range of municipal services, including curbside parking. Because of its proximity to Interstate 95 and prime development areas, Oakland is the site for FirstPark – Maines Premier Business and Technology Center. Billed as the first of its kind in Maine, this high tech park provides suitable locations for the emerging businesses of the 21st century. Once complete, FirstPark will provide 2,500 direct jobs and an equal number generated by ancillary businesses.

OAKLAND, A GREAT PLACE TO LOCATE OR VISIT!

Oakland’s Veterans Memorial

Government: Town Manager, Town Council

207-465-7357

Population: 6,240

Tax Rate/$1,000: $15.10 (2015/2016 tax year)

Market Value: 100%

Total Debt: $2,281,511

Utilities: Electric Power/Water/Sanitary Services

Land Area: 28 Square Miles